29 May Asian inspired Brisket slow cooked
Asian inspired brisket slow cook
Prep time – 20mins
Cook time – 3-6hours
Serves – 6
500 grams “The Meat Box ”
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cms fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 c wine (Chinese, or dry sherry)
¼ c soy sauce
¼ c brown sugar
2 cups good quality beef stock
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 cinnamon sticks
Fresh coriander to serve
- Preheat the oven to 140°C or get your slow cooker out.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil over medium heat in a large casserole (or fry pan if using a slow cooker). In batches brown the shin beef and set aside.
- Peel the onions, ginger and garlic, chop finely.
- Add another 1 tbsp of the oil to the pan that you browned the beef in, add the onion, garlic and ginger, gently cook until soft.
- Add the ground coriander, cookout for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the Chinese wine (or sherry) and let it bubble up.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, stock, oyster sauce and vinegar. Bring to a boil, and then drop in the cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- Add back the meat and let everything come up the boil again, place a piece of baking paper over the meat mixture and cover tightly with the casserole lid or a double layer of tin foil and put into the oven for two hours (or transfer to a slow cooker and set it for 6 hours).
- Take the casserole carefully out of the oven (or switch off slow cooker) and, using a slotted spatula, remove the beef to an ovenproof dish, break it up into smaller pieces if you wish with two forks, cover with foil and keep warm in the oven.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan and bring to the boil and cook without a lid till it has reduced by about half.
- Serve with a creamy mash and chopped coriander.