4 Preston Halal Meats lamb leg steaks
1 small onion
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 small piece fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves
1 small handful coriander
1 small handful mint
1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) oil
1.5 x 15ml spoon (1½ tbs) tikka curry powder
1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) ground coriander
1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) ground cumin
1 x 2.5 ml spoon (½ tsp) chilli powder
1 x 2.5 ml spoon (½ tsp) tumeric
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200ml boiling water
1 x lamb stock cube
1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tbs) cornflour
50ml cold water
2 x 15 ml spoon (2 tbs) natural low fat yogurt
- Prepare the vegetables, garlic, ginger and herbs:
- Peel the onion and finely chop;
- Remove the top of the peppers, remove the seeds and finely slice;
- Peel the ginger and grate;
- Peel the garlic and crush;
- Chop the coriander and mint.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry for 3 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the pepper slices and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, ground coriander, cumin, chilli powder, turmeric, garlic and ginger and stir well.
- Make up the lamb stock with boiling water.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and lamb stock to the saucepan and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the Tikka Masala is cooking, cook the rice.
- Bring 500 ml of water to the boil, add the rice, stir once and put the lid on.
- Reduce the temperature and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat but don’t remove the lid or stir the rice. Leave to steam for 5 minutes.
- Finely slice the lamb on a separate clean chopping board (ideally red). Remember to wash your hands thoroughly after handling raw meat.
- Add the lamb to the Tikka Masala sauce and stir well.
- Cook the lamb in the sauce for 5 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Mix the cornflour and 50ml cold water in a small bowl to form a paste.
- Stir the cornflour in to the Tikka Masala sauce to thicken.
- Remove the Tikka Masala from the heat and add the natural yogurt, mint and coriander. Stir well.
- Spoon the steamed rice into bowls and top with the Tikka Masala.